This mural depicts Dannebrog’s rich heritage. At the center of the mural are the Pioneer Grist Mill and the Union Pacific Depot which were two important buildings in our village’s past. Railroad tracks, an old canopy river bridge, corn and wheat fields with grazing cattle, Oak Creek and the Middle Loup River make up part of the landscape. Also painted in the mural are covered wagons, an Indian on horseback and a display of guns from the wars which have been fought since Dannebrog was first settled.
The renovation of Columbia Hall has been a major ongoing project by the Dannebrog Booster Club, a non-profit organization. Columbia Hall is a two-story brick building located in the downtown area. This landmark was built in 1908 by the Danish Brotherhood Society. The second story features an open room, complete with a stage.
Booster Club members donated money to purchase Columbia Hall and its premises because it was vacant and deteriorating. It’s purpose is to provide space for available programs, preserving the town’s ethnic and historic heritage, and enhancing the visual aesthetic of the business district.
Columbia Hall celebrated it’s opening of the lower level June 5, 2004! The hall was officially listed on the National Register of Historical Places on July 22, 2005.
At present, the Boosters have completely renovated the main floor, including a kitchen, bathrooms and interior and exterior handicap facilities. Also, an Archives and Tourist Center attracts many tour groups-nationwide and European visitors!
We welcome additional funds at this time to assist us in repairing, replacing and repainting the exterior brick and windows. It is very necessary to improve the deteriorating outside that houses activities and functions in downtown Dannebrog!
Donations for the restoration are being accepted. Please send donations to: Dannebrog Booster Club, 714 E Depot Street, Dannebrog, NE 68831. Rentals for Columbia Hall are $50.
The Dannebrog Booster Club was organized in 1985 for the purpose of establishing goals to improve the village’s economic climate. The Booster Club is involved in creating the village’s newsletter, coordinating events and writing grants for community projects. Major accomplishments include: annual festivals honoring Dannebrog’s heritage, erecting a band stand, creating the Hike/Bike trail, acquiring a bridge across Oak Creek, acquiring a Historical Marker and the restoration of Columbia Hall.
Danish immigrants founded Dannebrog in the 1870s and the citizens of the village take a lot of personal pride in their Danish ancestry. In Danish, Dannebrog is the romantic name for the Danish flag.
The village was founded by Lars Hannibal, president of the Danish Land and Homestead Company which was to secure a tract of land for settlers of Danish origin. In 1872, the first post office was established and in 1886 the first railroad track was laid through town. The Nebraska Legislature proclaimed Dannebrog as the Danish Capital of Nebraska in 1989.
Visitors will notice the Danish atmosphere when they enter the village with the Danish business signs, paintings, sidewalk benches, flowers, gifts and food. Dannebrog is a prime example of small-town Nebraska.
Historical Marker Historical Marker Text: In the spring of 1871 several members of the Danish Land and Homestead Company from Wisconsin claimed land along Oak Creek. The migrants, led by Lars Hannibal, were drawn by fertile soil and the idea that Danes from across the U.S. and the Old Country could form a colony in Howard County. Hannibal called the settlement Dannebrog, the name of the red and white national flag of Denmark. Construction of a water-powered grist mill on Oak Creek sparked the village’s early growth, and Dannebrog unsuccessfully sought the county seat in 1874. The town almost disappeared in the early 1880s, when businesses relocated to Nysted, but the coming of a railroad in 1885 brought new life. Dannebrog was incorporated in 1886. By 1920 the population peaked at 436. Germans, Czechs, Poles, and Swedes also settled at Dannebrog. Although the founders’ dream of an exclusive colony of Danes was never realized, Dannebrog and the nearby towns of Nysted and Dannevirke preserve the Danish heritage. In 1989 the Nebraska Legislature proclaimed Dannebrog as Nebraska’s Danish Capital.
Enjoy a scenic hike, ride or stroll on our 3+ miles of hard sufaced trail. Also experience great scenery, wildlife in its natural habitat and bird watching as you walk a nature trail in Hannibal Woods.
Our beautiful, well-maintained village park has several amenities to offer. We have four camping sites with electricity, restrooms, a playground for children, a picnic shelter, and a court for basketball, volleyball or whatever you desire.
There is a dump station for wastewater. There are no fresh water hookups, however, there are two fresh water hydrants in the park. There is a $10.00 fee per RV per night payable at the Dannebrog village office located at 104 S. Mill St. in the Archer Cooperative Credit Union Building. The village office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After hours the fee can be paid at Kerry’s Grocery located at 101 S. Mill St. (Across from the credit union.)
Though it was built in the spring of 1990, the bandstand adds a nostalgic touch to the main street area of downtown Dannebrog. Volunteers have lent their time and energy to this effort. The project was headed up and supported by the Dannebrog Booster Club. Many enjoy numerous activities from this facility.
The ball diamond is the host to many events throughout the summer. There are approximately 80 children involved in ball. Some of the events include: 5 & 6 year old coed t-ball, boys t-ball and little league, girls softball and mens softball leagues. The Dannebrog Ball Association holds a Duck Race every June at Grundlovsfest to raise money for ball field improvements.